Bodybuilding is probably the most different sport compared to any other. It’s the only sport where you are being judged not only about how you perform on the stage but also about how your body looks.
Furthermore, getting ready for a bodybuilding show is 24/7 work. Every decision you make in your daily life matters and can either take you closer or further from your destination. A bodybuilding competitor should be consistent not only with their workouts but also with their diet, rest, and sleep.
In this episode of Unleashed Podcast, host Yuri and guest Michael Mitchell Jr talk about Michael’s personal journey to become a bodybuilder and the importance of continuous improvement.
Michael’s story is interesting and motivating. After his first show in 2010, he stepped away from bodybuilding for two years. He was working in a large company in the ATM business and he let the stress of work take over.
Unlike many, Michael didn’t blame his job and environment for his inconsistency with the workouts. He knew that it was his inability to deal with stress that was responsible for putting bodybuilding aside.
Michael shares that being honest with himself, assessing his weaknesses, and having some deep conversations with people that were on track with their journeys, really helped him get back to work. He knew that the offseason is where he was challenged the most, so he and his coach decided to keep his offseason routine pretty similar to his precontest routine.
During his offseason, Michael would still pose for 30min every morning before his cardio, track his calories, and pose again later in the day, after his workout. This really helped him stay grounded and focused on his goals.
During his chat with Yuri, Michael also shared some insightful tips for beginners who want to start competing and become bodybuilders. Here are some of them.
- Be aware of your surroundings and everyone around you. Know that when you pick up a weight, everybody’s watching what you’re doing. Make sure you’re doing good work and your form is correct. Try to stay concentrated on what you’re doing at every moment.
- Be polite and respectful to everyone. Inside and outside of training. Don’t be the loudest person in the room. Try to be the hardest working person in the room.
- Attend seminars. The seminars are very helpful because they put you in the right atmosphere to learn and to grow. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and make sure you spend more time listening than speaking.
- Outwork everybody. Even if you’re genetically gifted, you won’t achieve your goals without the work. It all goes back to the training, no matter how high we go. When you look at the routines of some of the most successful people in the world, the first thing they get done early in the morning is their workout.
- Find a knowledgeable coach who cares about you. A great coach will not care about you only as an athlete but also as a person. You should be able to open up with your coach, share your struggles and fears. Make sure you ask many questions and your coach helps you create an efficient daily routine, rather than just a workout and meal plan.
Do you want to listen to the full episode of Unleashed Podcast and learn more valuable tips and insights? You can do that on Apple, Youtube, and Spotify!
If you live in the Dallas area, come visit us at one of the Hidden Gym locations! Still not a member? Claim your free day pass here and start working on your fitness goals in a friendly and motivating environment!